Bro. Eli Soriano, the Overall Servant of Members Church of God International (MCGI), called on the participants of the charity basketball league UNTV Cup to be relentless in doing good to all, especially those who are less fortunate and the charitable foundations being sponsored by the participating teams.
The UNTV Cup Season 6 Finals was held at the Smart Araneta Coliseum on March 12, 2018.
The Ang Dating Daan radio-television host said: “We should complete the good works we started because in Galatians 6:10, it says ‘while we have the opportunity, let us do good to all men especially to those who are of the household of faith.’”
“There is special care for the household of faith, but the words of God said we must do good unto all men, even to those who do not of the household of faith,” stressed the International Televangelist, speaking through live video conferencing. “It means, we have an obligation to do good even to those who are not of the household of faith.”
According to Bro. Eli, the charitable works conducted by MCGI and UNTV are continuous. He mentioned as example charitable efforts, “Libreng Sakay,” Medical Mission (which provides free medical services), and UNTV Cup.
“If we are commanded to love our enemies, more so we should love those who are less fortunate and being sponsored by the teams through our basketball league,” he said.
Nearly Php10 Million Prize for Charity
With the help of the teams that have participated in UNTV Cup, nearly P10,000,000 cash prize was given away to the chosen beneficiaries of the participating government agencies.
Senate Defenders stopped Malacañang-PSC Kamao’s bid to win as the season’s grand champion during the Game 2 of the UNTV Cup Season 6 Finals. Whoever wins, however, would still bring the biggest joys to the big winners – their chosen charitable foundations.
Season 6 champion, the Senate Defenders’ prize pot of Php4-million benefits Kythe Foundation, Inc., Tahanang Mapagpala Immaculada Concepcion, Inc., and Pangarap Foundation, Inc. The champion team received P500,000.
Meanwhile, second-placer, Malacañang-PSC Kamao bagged Php2-million to help around 600 cancer patients of the Philippine Children’s Medical Center (PCMC) and Millennium Sports Support System Association, Inc. The team received P300,000.
While the AFP Educational Benefit System Office (AFP-EBSO) received Php1-million from the AFP Cavaliers, the third-placer of the tournament. The team received P200,000.
Fourth placer, the NHA Builders, planned to donate its Php500,000 prize to NHA Provident Fund Association, Inc. The team received P100,000 from UNTV Cup.
Prize for the Participating Teams
- PNP Responders — Php100,000 for Public Assistance for Rescue, Disaster and Support Services (PARDSS) Foundation International, Inc.
- Judiciary Magis — Php100,000 for Judiciary Employees Severely Affected by Typhoons and Calamities
- GSIS Furies — Php100,000 for Kapisanan ng mga Manggagawa sa GSIS
- PDEA Drug Busters — Php100,000 for Confederation of Community Oriented Policing System NGOs, (CCOPS-NGOs) Inc.
- BFP Firefighters — Php100,000 for Philippine Science High School Foundation Inc.
- DOJ Justice Boosters — Php100,000 for Department of Justice Employees’ Association (DOJEA), Silong Tanglaw, Uswag Kabataan Inc., and Nazareth Home for Children Foundation, Inc.
- DA Food Masters — Php100,000 for Don Bosco Foundation for Sustainable Development
- DOH Health Achievers — Php100,000 for Dr. Gerry Cunanan Mindanao Heart Foundation, and Kapwa Ko Mahal Ko
- COA Enablers — Php100,000 for Caritas Novaliches, Inc.
- Ombudsman Graft Busters — Php100,000 for Ombudsman Provident Fund
Executive Face-off Soon
Meanwhile, the Executive Face-Off of the UNTV Cup off-Season Games is eyeing a heightened up public service, and strong camaraderie between government officials and employees.
“Many committed to play for the Executive Face-Off. We’re hoping that our executives will give further participation, including various government officials in the executive level,” said UNTV-BMPI CEO and President, Kuya Daniel Razon. “This is their chance as well to share not only the prize they won for their beneficiaries but also to develop camaraderie among the high-ranking officials, to take a break and exercise through the UNTV Cup Executive Face-Off.”
“God-willing, it will be more exciting and more will participate,” added the veteran broadcast journalist and KBP Lifetime Achievement awardee.
Written by: Maikka Dungog